domingo, 2 de febrero de 2014

Casio PB300 Review and Printer Module replacement

A got my lovely Casio PB300 from Ebay. I come from Montana, USA to Spain. 




I was very happy with it, it looked really like new. Both, calculator and carrying case were clean and in perfect conditions. I dont really think the calculator was used. 


The PB 300 is a very cute machine, here you can see a size comparation with the PB700. The Keyboard layout of the Casio PB300 is very nice, and looks like a small "real" computer.

Although the nice form factor, lightweight and cute look, the PB300 is a very limited machine. The 12 chartacter screen is too little for easy reading, or programing. The memory is just 512 steps, just enough for very simple calculations.

It is a nice objet to have and enjoy, but not an everyday usable item such my 730P or my PB700 are.



However, I had to replace the internal NI-CD battery. You can see the process in this post. This can be also applied to any of the early printers from Casio, such is the FX802 or the stand alone FP12.

And I found another problem! One of the lines in the printer was dead! Of course, you can still use the printer, but it was a pity to have that dead line.

As I also have a little Casio PB-12 Printer, fully functional, but not very nice look, I had to make a decission: What do I prefer, a PB300 of a FP12? Of course the PB300!

So, I swaped the printer module from both. The FP12 works still great, but with that line on the prints, with is OK, and the PB300 is just perfect.

This is the original printer module. I photographed to note the cable order.

This is the little FP-12, that "donated" its printing unit. 

A closer view of the Casio PB300 oppened. You can see that the cables are tight with a little rope!



Detail of the "swapping" process. It is funny, but 3 of the cables were soldered differently in the printer and in the calculator. I detected that in the first printing as it resulted "abstract". ;-)



And it this video, you can see the finished:



4 comentarios:

  1. Hi, I have a PB-300 but the printer is just advance the paper but not printing. Do you still have the replaced printer from this post? I would be happy to buy it if availlable. I will visit the page or if you are kind to answer please drop me a mail. Have a nice day!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Dear Friend.

    Yes, I have am FP12 printer that is funtional, but looks bad, so can be used for parts. I will post it in my ebay sales soon.
    My ebay sales nick is vintage-tek

    Regards!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. hi, I'm from Germany and found a PB-300 in the attic. I'm currently charging it to see if it still works. It's for sale.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hi,
    I have Casio FA-11 and the gearwheel on the paper feeding motor is damaged.
    Could you measure diameter and tooth count on FA12 or PB300. Maybe it would be identical..

    ResponderEliminar